Built c. 1893, the Oliver Springs Depot was one of the busiest of the Coster Division. Its popularity grew
along with the nationally known Oliver Springs Resort Hotel and nearby coal production. This building is a
small-frame style, one story structure. Original interior wood has writing still visible from 123 years ago. It
features gabbles and large overhangs. The last passenger train pulled through the depot in 1968. In 1983
Southern Railway planned to demolish the structure. The town rallied for saving this historic remnant and
eventually struck a deal with Southern Railway, provided it would be removed from the site and relocated
elsewhere. In 1986, the citizens of Oliver Springs were able to have the building moved across the street
with the help of TVA.
The depot is currently home to the Oliver Springs Library and Museum operated by the Oliver Springs
Historical Society. The outside paint is lead-based and needs containment and new paint. Roof repairs and
water drainage are also issues. The town has little funding to make repairs and it is the only library and
source for internet connection for many citizens. Time is of the essence. The town is applying for a TDOT
Enhancement Grant to help make repairs. Repairs need to be made to ensure the structure has a future in
The depot has been on the East Tennessee Preservation Alliance Endangered 8 List since 2016. It's our wish that it can be removed in 2018.
Layers of lead paint have been removed and repairs are being made.
Keith Massengale’s prison crew is doing a nice job with the shakes that Robbie Underwood planed and ripped.