The Oliver Springs Historical Society is pleased to announce that work has finally
begun in earnest on the last phase of our museum. This is the “Old Town
Streetscape” that, when completed, will offer a “Look down Main Street”, with business storefronts recreated to capture the essence of the town most of us grew
up in. The old Corner Drug Store, Theatre Fountain, Oliver Theatre, Oliver Springs
Banking Company, Sienknecht’s Store…and one of the highlights of the whole streetscape will be Main Street itself, paved with hundreds of commemorative bricks embossed with names of loved ones, benefactors, town characters, and leaders of days gone by. Several hundred have been purchased. Now that the project is moving toward completion, we have opened up the opportunity to purchase one or more bricks, each with the name of a cherished loved one
or deserving honoree. Although the price of the bricks has gone up in the interim, we are still offering these for the price of only $50.00 each, including shipping. This price includes three lines of text as seen in the example. Many families have bought one each for parents, grandparents, etc. What better way to honor the legacy of your loved one than by a commemorative brick with his or her name proudly displayed in our town museum? Placing it in the streetscape will ensure that generations to come will remember the name represented in your memorial.
Department Store building of Dr. Henry C Sienknecht at 460 Main Street.
The centerpiece of the museum will be the street itself, paved with commemorative brick honoring or memorializing relatives, town characters, notable citizens.
The Oliver Theatre, 40 Main Street was possibly opened in the late-1940’s. It was certainly open by 1950 and was still operating in 1957. A closing date is not known. The building today(2015) is in use as a candy factory known as the Country Fresh Fudge factory.
This was the town's first bank, and was chartered March 12, 1904 as the "Oliver Springs Banking Company, Inc." with H. Sienknecht, Sam Tunnell, H.C. Thompson, D.C. Richards, and J.F. Taylor as directors. A Statement of the "Oliver Springs Banking Company, Inc."
The Oliver Springs Drug Company Building at 101 Main Street, which was built 1906-7 by Dr. Asa Kelly Shelton. Dr. Shelton had a huge influence in Oliver Springs as he practiced medicine here for more than fifty years.
Located next to the Oliver Theater